OctoberVET Update # 8!
As more OctoberVET events are confirmed we will update the events calendar. Key details are now available for events in New South Wales, South Australia, Western Australia, Queensland and Vitoria. Please note that a new Queensland event features in this update.
OctoberVET 2015 Events Calendar
Queensland: AVETRA Breakfast – Recognising VET Contributions to Business and Industry
- Date and time: 11 November, 7.00 am – 9.30 am
- Venue: Futures Restaurant, TAFE Queensland South West, 100 Bridge Street, Toowoomba
- Guest speaker: Hugh Guthrie
- Flyer link: Toowoomba OctoberVET Invite
- Please register for this free event using the link in the flyer
New South Wales: VET and University: Professional Learning and Teaching Exchange Forum
- Date and time: 29 October, 9.30 am – 4.00 pm (with registrations from 9.00 am)
- Western Sydney University, Penrith Campus (Werrington North)
- Registrations required as places are limited: http://www.westernsydney.edu.au/tertiaryeducationpathwaysandpartnerships/home/information_for_providers/octobervet_forum_registration (online registration).
Western Australia: Changing Learning and Organisations
- Date and time: 23 October, 12 noon – 4.00 pm
- Venue: Room 15.101, Mt Lawley Campus, Edith Cowan University, 2 Bradford St., Mount Lawley (Enter from Central Avenue – Visitor Parking in front of Building 10 – parking costs $1 per hour)
- Contact Llandis Barratt-Pugh to register your interest in attending: email@example.com
Queensland: A Quest for Research Capability
- Date and time: 16 October, 10.00am – 4.30pm
- Venue: CQUniversity Mackay, Cook Theatre, Building 1, 151 Boundary Road, Ooralea
- Registration: free, but please register your interest in attending via the link on the flyer
- Flyer link: CQU-OctoberVET-2015_invitation_final
New South Wales: Practitioner Research Under Analysis
- Facilitator: Anne Bowden (Past NCVER Early Career Researcher Scholarship recipient)
- Date and time: 26 October, 4.30 – 6.00pm
- Online event: webconf.det.nsw.edu.au/tma Log in as a guest, following the simple instructions on screen.
- In order to test that you will be able to access this webinar, please log in at any time to ensure your computer system meets the requirements to be able to participate If you experience difficulties please contact Anne Bowden on 0419 42 5555.
- Flyer link: OctoberVET 2015-Online Event
South Australia: Using data to inform policy on education and training
- Speakers: John Stanwick (NCVER), Patrick Lim (NCVER) and Alison Anlezark (NCVER)
- Date and time: 9 October, 9.15am – 12noon
- Venue: Lecture Room 6.12, 6th Floor Hawke Building, University of South Australia, 57 North Terrace, Adelaide
- Registration: Free – but please RSVP to Josie Misko (firstname.lastname@example.org) as places are limited
- Flyer link: OctoberVET 2015-NCVER Event
Western Australia: Striving for Excellence: ESL/LLN Skills Symposium
- Date: 9-10 October
- Venue: Central Institute of Technology, Northbridge Campus, 25 Aberdeen St, Northbridge
- Registration for two days: $70
- Flyer and registration link: http://eepurl.com/bwHztL
Queensland: Making great learning and teaching practice happen through Participatory Action Research
- Date and time: 16 October, 1 – 5pm
- Venue: Rooms C4304-4305, TAFE Queensland Brisbane, South Bank Campus, 66 Ernest Street, South Brisbane
- Registration: Free
Victoria: Unearthing the Digital Landscape: Innovating Pedagogic Practice in VET
- Speaker: Leo Gregorc (VET Development Centre)
- Date and time: 20 October, 6-8pm (registrations from 5.30pm)
- Venue: Rydges Melbourne, Level 1, 186 Exhibition St, Melbourne
- Registration: Free – but register online by 13 October
- Flyer and registration link: VET Development Centre OctoberVET Event
OctoberVET 2015: Call for Conveners
AVETRA would like to invite you consider convening an OctoberVET event in your area in 2015.
OctoberVET is the name of a season of local events to share information, research and ideas about VET. OctoberVET complements AVETRA’s annual conference, and as the name suggests, it runs through October (with a few events usually spilling into November as well).
The success of OctoberVET always depends on the good-will and inventiveness of a local Convener (or group of Conveners) who are connected with local VET networks and identities and can find a focus and a space for their event.
AVETRA offers a small seed-grant for all OctoberVET events (which can be used for catering for example), and a national coordinator is on hand to discuss your ideas, and to provide advice and support. AVETRA also promotes OctoberVET events nationally to help draw attention to local events.
OctoberVET events range in size and scope, depending on local needs and interests, and range from convivial, small-scale gatherings to larger formal events with speakers. Events can be brief (a couple of hours) or can span a whole day. In 2014, 10 OctoberVET events ran across Australia, including a number of regional events. Here are the themes of last year’s events:
• Professionalism and Scholarly Activity in VET
• New developments in research in VET
• What VET Researchers Learn
• Refocusing program accountability: Lifelong and life-wide perspective on literacy and numeracy development
• Trades, Apprentices & VET
• Starting the Research Conversation
• Participatory Action Research: a practice changing practice
• Bringing Research to Practice: Engaging Adolescents with Literacy and Numeracy
• The state of play 2014: VET, apprenticeships and context
• Better training for a better workforce: Research for VET Innovation
What ideas do you have for 2015? With yet another momentous year for VET underway it’s time to start thinking about how to bring your local VET community together to share ideas and inspiration. Get in touch with Steven Hodge (national OctoberVET Coordinator) to discuss your ideas and find out how to get the OctoberVET ball rolling. Call him at his office: 07 37355712 or mobile: 0421224474 or email him at email@example.com
Join AVETRA Now – click here