OctoberVET 2013: Call for Conveners
This year’s national OctoberVET coordinators, Linda Simon and Steven Hodge, would like to invite you consider convening an OctoberVET event in your area.
OctoberVET is the name of a season of local events to share information and ideas about VET. OctoberVET complements AVETRA’s annual conference, and as the name suggests, it runs through October (with a few events usually spilling into November as well).
OctoberVET events range in size and scope, depending on local needs and interests, and range from convivial, small-scale gatherings to larger formal events with speakers. Events can be brief (a couple of hours) or can span a whole day. In 2012, OctoberVET events ran in all Australian states as well as New Zealand!
The success of OctoberVET always depends on the good-will and inventiveness of a local Convener (or group of Conveners) who are connected with local VET networks and identities and can find a focus and a space for their event.
AVETRA offers a small seed-grant for all OctoberVET events (which can be used for catering for example), and a national coordinator is on hand to discuss your ideas, and to provide advice and support. AVETRA also advertises OctoberVET events nationally to help draw attention to local events.
Last year’s themes will give you an idea of variety of interests gathered together under the OctoberVET banner:
- VET: the workforce of the future (Convenor: Tracey Singh)
- New Options for Professional Development & Skill Building (Convenor: Alicia Boyle)
- Quality Teaching and Learning in a New Era (Convenors: Helen Smith and David McLean)
- Industry Currency and Competencies or Capabilities – Two Stories (Convenor: Anita Wesney)
- Increasing educational participation and outcomes for people who are geographically and/or socially disadvantaged (Convenor: Annette Green and Wendy De Luca)
- The Value of VET (Convenor: Steven Hodge)
- Australia’s Productivity Challenge: Why productivity matters, and when it doesn’t (Convenor: Jill Downing)
- Joining the dots: Exploring independent validation of assessment and quality (Convenors: Michele Simons and Sinan Gemici)
- Industry and VET – the Ultimate Partnership (Convenor: Kathy Piccardi)
- Remodelling VET: Scholarship and Competition (Convenors: Linda Simon, Keiko Yasukawa, Kevin Heys, Annette Bonnici, Camilla Couch and Susan Roy)
- Developing Skills for Sustainability through VET (Convenor: Mike Brown)
- The Secondary-Tertiary Interface (Convenor: Colleen Young)
- VET Research in WA (Convenors: Sue Thompson and Llandis Barratt-Pugh)
With yet another momentous year unfolding for VET – including impacts of Government reforms and pressures on funding, proposed changes to quality standards, further calls for professional teaching qualifications and industry currency, continuing issues around social inclusion, and the value of VET in relation to other educational sectors – it’s time to start thinking about how to bring your local VET community together to share ideas and inspiration. Get in touch with Linda Simon (national OctoberVET co-coordinator) to discuss your ideas and find out how to get the OctoberVET ball rolling. Call her on 0411550439 or email her at email@example.com