OctoberVET 2014: Call for Conveners
This year’s national OctoberVET coordinator, Steven Hodge, would like to invite you consider convening an OctoberVET event in your area. OctoberVET is the name of a season of local events to share information and ideas about VET. OctoberVET complements AVETRA’s annual conference, and as the name suggests, it runs through October (with a few events usually spilling into November as well). OctoberVET events range in size and scope, depending on local needs and interests, and range from convivial, small-scale gatherings to larger formal events with speakers. Events can be brief (a couple of hours) or can span a whole day. In 2013, OctoberVET events ran in all Australian states .The success of OctoberVET always depends on the good-will and inventiveness of a local Convener (or group of Conveners) who are connected with local VET networks and identities and can find a focus and a space for their event. AVETRA offers a small seed-grant for all OctoberVET events (which can be used for catering for example), and a national coordinator is on hand to discuss your ideas, and to provide advice and support. AVETRA also advertises OctoberVET events nationally to help draw attention to local events. Last year’s themes will give you an idea of variety of interests gathered together under the OctoberVET banner:
- The Variety of VET: Research into policy and practice for schools, training providers and workplace
- Research & Evaluation in Vocational Education: The role of evidence/Engaging & Supporting Distance-based Learners in the Workplace
- What is happening in VET research
- Engaging adolescents in Education: A gathering of minds and experiences
- Building research capacity and culture in VET
- Reflective practice in VET – why bother? How does it enhance business?
- Exploring the relationships between the ACE and VET sectors
With yet another momentous year unfolding for VET – including impacts of Government reforms and pressures on funding, proposed changes to quality standards, further calls for professional teaching qualifications and industry currency, continuing issues around social inclusion, and the value of VET in relation to other educational sectors – it’s time to start thinking about how to bring your local VET community together to share ideas and inspiration. Get in touch with Steven Hodge (national OctoberVET coordinator) to discuss your ideas and find out how to get the OctoberVET ball rolling. Call him at the Office: 07 37355712 or on his mobile: 0421224474 or email him at email@example.com.