OctoberVET events aim to showcase VET research and promote discussion between VET stakeholders about research needs. A number of OctoberVET events have been announced for Victoria, Northern Territory and Queensland. Other events are firming for South Australia, New South Wales and Western Australia.
Confirmed 2019 events are as follows:
Victoria: Applied Research and Innovation in TAFE
• Host: Victorian TAFE Association
• Date: 4 October, 12:15 – 1:15 pm
• Venue: Online Webinar
• Enquiries: Dr Arnaldo Barone (email@example.com)
• Flyer: Attached
• Registration: https://www.ivvy.com.au/event/R19065/ (note that registrations close Thursday 3 October)
Queensland: Putting the ‘Teach’ Back into Teaching
• Hosts: Central Queensland University (CQU), Griffith University & TAFE Queensland
• Date: 14 October, 12:00 noon – 1:30 pm
• Venue: Online event (via Zoom, Skype or Lync)
• Enquiries: Deniese Cox (firstname.lastname@example.org)
• Flyer: Attached
• No registration necessary. Simply dial in on the day. Please see the flyer for attendance options.
Queensland: Supporting workforces during industry transition: Key elements for success
• Host: Jobs Queensland
• Date: 16 October, 12:30 – 1:30 pm
• Venue: Online Webinar
• Enquiries: Sean Felsman (email@example.com)
• Registration: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/Q5XNCVAGg5fqWPYkCJPZU0?domain=jobsqueensland.qld.gov.au
Northern Territory: Future of VET Teaching
• Host: Charles Darwin University
• Date: 17 October, 9 am – 3 pm
• Venue: Room Red 1 Level 3 (above the cafeteria), Casuarina Campus, Charles Darwin University, Ellengowan Drive, Casuarina.
• Enquiries: Dr Louise King (firstname.lastname@example.org)
• Flyer: Attached
• Registration: This event is free and open to the Darwin VET community. However, registration through Eventbrite is essential due to room size.
Victoria: Degrees of Difference (Interim Report Launch for the Australian Research Council Discovery Project Vocational Institutions, Undergraduate Degrees)
• Host: VET Development Centre
• Date: 29 October, 2 – 5 pm
• Venue: VET Development Centre, Level 8, 379 Collins Street, Melbourne
• Enquiries: Leah Micallef (Leah.Micallef@monash.edu)
• Registration: To register to attend in person or watch the event online please go to: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/vocational-institutions-undergraduate-degrees-interim-report-launch-registration-68460044837
Victoria: Showcasing Applied Research in TAFE
• Host: Holmesglen Institute
• Date: 30 October, 9 am – 3:45 pm
• Venue: Conference Centre, Holmesglen Institute Chadstone Campus, Corner Batesford & Warrigal Roads, Chadstone
• Enquiries: Joe Pagnoccolo (email@example.com)
Holmesglen’s Centre for Applied Research and Innovation, in conjunction with AVETRA, presents
OctoberVET at Holmesglen: Showcasing Applied Research in TAFE
• Speakers Mary Faraone, Bruce Mackenzie (MRI) and Andrew Williamson (Vic TAFE Assoc.)
• Sessions showcasing research projects from across the sector
• Research snapshots from leading applied researchers
• See applied research created by staff and students in TAFE.
• Partnerships between TAFE and organisations such as EastLink and the RCH
The research to be showcased at this conference not only recognises our achievements but also sets the parameters for further research: it demonstrates how TAFE contributes to the development of industry and to a more vibrant community.
• Demonstrations of new tech such as VR and their application to education and training
• Networking with other attendees
• Book launch of VTA’s ‘Doing Applied Research in Victorian TAFE Institutes.’
This event is free, registration is essential at https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/showcasing-applied-research-in-tafe-tickets-76196087549.
Morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea will be provided.
Victoria: Tradie to teacher: identity, practice and place-based learning
- Where: La Trobe University Bundoora VIC
- When: 10am–4pm on Friday 8 November 2019
- Lunch: Provided
- Cost: Free
- Register: eventbrite.com.au/e/77055046719
- Expect: Short presentations by VET teachers & researchers with time for discussion in an informal environment
- organised by Dr Karen O’Reilly-Briggs: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Victoria: Supporting young people into their futures: Research and practice
- Host: Federation University
- A free research-based event in Ballarat, Thurs 14 November 12.30 for 1.15pm
- Date: Thursday 14th November 2019, 12:30pm – 4.30 pm
- Registration and light lunch from 12:30pm
- Afternoon tea also provided
- Ballarat Technology Park, SMB Campus, Lydiard St, Ballarat city centre
- Seminar theatre, Tech Park Central (previously the Brewery building)
- Registration: Email email@example.com
- Please indicate any dietary requirements
- Note: If demand for places is heavy, we may have to charge for later registrations to cover catering costs
(organised by Professor Erica Smith: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Western Australia: Planning and Scanning VET Research
• Host: Edith Cowan University
• Date: 15 November, 3pm - 5pm
• Venue: Mt Lawley Campus ECU, Room 17.221, Mt Lawley WA 6050
• Enquiries: Associate Professor Llandis Barratt-Pugh email@example.com
Click Here to view the flyer for more details.
Other events being planned – more details to come:
• NCVER, South Australia (organised by Dr Josie Misko: firstname.lastname@example.org)
If you are interested in running an OctoberVET event, please email or call Steven Hodge (email@example.com / 0421224474).
Please CLICK HERE for more information
Call for Submissions for the World Education Research Association (WERA) Focal Meeting
Santiago de Compostela, Spain 1-3 July 2020
Submissions for the Call must be completed by 1 December 2019; 23:59 Central European Time.
Please note that the Call includes an invitation to submit proposals for papers, posters, and symposia. The online submission system can be found at www.conftool.com/wera2020.
WERA is an association of major national, regional, and specialty education research associations dedicated to sharing scholarship, developing networks, and mutually supporting capacity building. The WERA 2020 Focal Meeting is an integral part of the annual conference of the Sociedad Española de Pedagogía (SEP) and consists of a program of paper, symposia, and poster sessions on topics of worldwide emphases and significance. WERA Focal Meetings are embedded in the conference of a WERA member association. www.wera-compostela.com